Normally the automatic installer is all you need to install Tunnelblick. In some cases a manual install may be necessary.
1) Click here to DOWNLOAD SurfBouncer for Mac 32 and 64 bit. Save to your desktop.
The default locations for downloads on the Mac is the 'Downloads' folder. If your machine is set to default, go to Finder / Your User Name / Downloads and drag the file to the desktop
Double click 'Tunnelblick' to start the installation
2) Click 'Open'
3) If the screen below pops up, enter your Mac user name and password
4) You will see the successful installation screen as shown below -- click 'Launch' to start Tunnelblick
5) Click on 'I have configuration files'
( Note: if you accidentally click on something else and do not get to the next screen, go to this page to complete the installation then continue to step #9 )
6) Click 'OpenVPN Configurations' then 'Open Private Configurations Folder'
The following 2 windows will open -- do not close them
7) Download the configuration files listed under Linux in the email we sent you after you subscribed
(NOTE: It will likely download to your 'Downloads' folder, unless you have changed that default)
--For Safari, double-click as shown below
--For Firefox, Click on 'Open With Archive Utility' and select 'OK'
A Finder window with the unzipped files will appear -- do not close this window as you will use it in the next step
8) The (top) screen shot below shows the Finder window opened by Tunnelblick back in step #6 and the window that appeared after selecting the Archive Utility in step 7 (on the bottom). Drag the configuration files into the configurations folder as shown. (Note: the image below shows 14 files. The number of files will increase as we add new regions.)
It is important that you drag all the files present to the Configurations folder
Click 'Done' on the 'Private Configurations Folder is Open' Window and close all remaining windows
9) Click on the Tunnelblick icon as shown in the image below. Check to see if the configurations are showing as per the image. If not, click on the icon and select 'Quit'.
Restart Tunnelblick and you will see the following connection options when you click on the Tunnelblick icon. After the installation is complete, this is where you will connect on a daily basis:
10) Select on one of the options above to log in (see a description of the various options at the bottom of the page). Your Mac will ask for your Mac user name and password to allow Tunnelblick to connect. This will only occur the first time or if there is a software update for any given connection
Now it will ask for your SurfBouncer user name and password. If you do not want to keep re-entering your user credentials, check the 'Save In Keychain' box to save it
The Tunnelblick icon will flash while it is connecting
You are connected when it turns from gray to white
IMPORTANT: Always log out from your current connection in Tunnelblick before trying to switch to a different connection.
Having more than one connection active at a time will result in disconnects and poor performance.
When looking at the Tunnelblick drop down, make sure only your current connection has a mark next to it.
This is the 'Details' screen from the Tunnelblick menu.
If you wish to have a certain connection always log in upon launching Tunnelblick, select the connection from the tabs at the side and then check the 'Automatically connect' box. Only do this for 1 connection option.
The default for Tunnelblick is to have the 'Monitor Connection' box checked. This causes the network connection to be monitored for changes. If Tunnelblick detects a change to DNS settings, the connection will restart and log in again. If you are seeing repeated and unnecessary restarts, uncheck this box to stop it from occurring.
When requesting support for a VPN issue please send a log as shown on this page to facilitate a faster solution
After installation and launching Tunnelblick, you will see the four default connection options:
SurfBouncer - Connects you to our main USA servers and is the default for those wanting a USA IP address.
These servers are located in several cities on the US East coast and Midwest.
SB Video - A USA connection optimized for video sites such as Hulu. Servers are located in Texas and Illinois.
SB West - This is also a USA connection with servers in Northern California.
SurfBouncer UK - This option will connect you to our servers in the UK and provide a UK IP address.
SurfBouncer Ireland - Provides access to Ireland with a Irish IP address.
SurfBouncer Germany - Access to German servers and IP addresses.
SurfBouncer Netherlands - Access to Netherlands servers and IP addresses.
SurfBouncer Cyprus - Access to servers and IP addresses in Cyprus.
SurfBouncer Canada - Provides Canadian access and IP address.
SurfBouncer Singapore - Asian access with servers and IP address from Singapore.
SurfBouncer Hong Kong- Access to Hong Kong servers and IP addresses.
SurfBouncer TCP 443 - Uses the TCP protocol to bypass some firewall blocks.
If you are using a version of Tunnelblick prior to version 3.0 beta 22, please see these pages for setup instructions
If you have any issues or questions setting up Tunnelblick, unblocking web sites or connecting, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org